Applications are now being accepted for the AmeriCorps Project Conserve HRI Stewardship and Volunteer Engagement Associate with the Hemlock Restoration Initiative of WNC Communities.
The 11-month term will run from September 3, 2019 to July 31, 2020 and will be based out of Asheville, NC.
Applications are due Friday, May 24th.
This position will be focused on working with partners (state agencies, conservation non-profits, and volunteers) to protect more hemlock trees from the impacts of the hemlock woolly adelgid, primarily using chemical and biological control methods. Additionally, the APC member will educate, engage and empower more community members and groups to participate in hemlock conservation.
The APC member will create volunteer opportunities and recruit and organize volunteers to support above objectives. The APC member will assist the HRI in outreach and education efforts to spread accurate, useful, up-to-date information about hemlocks, their importance to our ecosystems and economy, and what can be done to save them. There will be significant face-to-face interaction through outreach activities, which will include educational presentations, trainings, demostrations, hikes, tabling events, etc.
- Schedule, organize and publicize presentations, hikes, and other educational/outreach events
- Schedule, organize and recruit volunteers for workdays to collect data, chemically treat trees, and monitor trees for biological control program on public lands
- Assist with HWA Biological Control program and insectary development
- Help organize and lead workshops to train professionals and members of the public on hemlock ecosystems and management options
- Social Media — Share HRI and partner activities & accomplishments and HRI-related stories & research
Here is a link to the program website:
Click here for full position description.
All questions can be directed to Margot Wallston at firstname.lastname@example.org.