Applications are now being accepted for the AmeriCorps Project Conserve HRI Stewardship and Volunteer Engagement Associate with the Hemlock Restoration Initiative of WNC Communities.
The 11-month term will run from September 4, 2018 to July 31, 2019 and will be based out of Asheville, NC.
Please note the application deadline is May 25, 2018.
The purpose of the HRI Stewardship and Volunteer Engagement Associate position is to assist the HRI Coordinator to increase the number of eastern and Carolina hemlock trees currently receiving protection from HWA by increasing the capacity of HRI partner agencies to treat trees using chemical and biological control methods, and to educate, engage and empower more community members and groups to participate in hemlock conservation.
The APC member will create volunteer opportunities and recruit and organize volunteers to support above objectives. The APC member will assist the HRI in outreach and education efforts to spread accurate, useful, up-to-date information about hemlocks, their importance to our ecosystems and economy, and what can be done to save them. There will be significant face-to-face interaction through outreach activities, which will include educational presentations, trainings, demostrations, hikes, tabling events, etc.
- Schedule, organize and publicize presentations, hikes, and other educational/outreach events
- Schedule, organize and recruit volunteers for workdays to collect data, chemically treat trees, and monitor trees for biological control program on public lands
- Assist with HWA Biological Control program and insectary development
- One-on-One Education – Develop individual training/resources for community residents; respond to inquiries
- Social Media — Share HRI and partner activities & accomplishments and HRI-related stories & research
Here is a link to the program website:
All questions can be directed to Margot Wallston at email@example.com.